This homemade coconut cake is rich, moist and full of coconut flavor. This cake is truly scrumptious topped with a coconut cream cheese frosting.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place parchment paper on bottom of two, nine-inch cake pans and lightly grease bottom and sides of each pan.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, and cream of coconut with electric mixer on medium speed for approx. 3 minutes.
4. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time until well-blended followed by addition of vanilla extract and coconut extract.
5. Alternate adding in a third of the dry ingredients followed by a third of the buttermilk to batter on medium-low speed until ingredients are just combined.
6. In separate small bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed for approx. 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. (Make sure beaters are dry and clean). Fold into cake batter.
7. Pour cake batter into prepared cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
8. Let cakes cool in pan on rack for 10 - 15 minutes and then remove cake from pan to finish cooling on wire rack.
In large bowl, blend cream cheese and butter together with electric mixer on medium speed just until combined.
2. Add remaining can (7 oz) of cream of coconut along with vanilla and coconut extract. Blend until combined.
3. Add in powdered sugar and blend on medium to medium-low speed until smooth and creamy.
4. Frost first layer of cake and then spread with shredded coconut. Add top layer of cake and frost top and sides of cake with thin layer of frosting. Repeat with one more layer.
5. Sprinkle coconut on top of cake and press > toss gently onto sides of cake.
6. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.