This Weight Watchers cupcake brownie recipe is super easy to make and comes together within minutes. With only 3 smart points, these little treats can help satisfy your sweet tooth.
As I was searching for healthier recipes, I stumbled along this Weight Watchers Chewy Cupcake Brownie recipe. The fact that it has only three points was definitely appealing and who doesn’t love brownies and chocolate. If you can deliver a low fat dessert without compromising the taste, count me in.
Here’s what I liked about this recipe:
1. It only takes a few minutes to make up the batter for this recipe and it has a short baking time.
2. Simple ingredients are included – flour, cocoa, unsweetened applesauce. (I don’t usually carry unsweetened applesauce in the pantry so I had to make my own.)
3. This dessert didn’t taste dietetic at all. The cupcake or muffin was moist and had a good flavor.
4. This cupcake has just 107 calories per serving.
Here’s what I didn’t like:
1. The actual chocolate flavor in this recipe seems to be lacking. (I ended up adding coffee on my second trial and it helped boost the flavor)
2. This recipe tastes more like a cupcake or muffin versus a brownie. I wouldn’t really say I’m reminded of a brownie when eating this.
I still plan on finding a healthy brownie or chocolate alternative, but overall, I think the pros for this dessert far outweigh the slight negative. If you have a sweet tooth like I do, this still hit the spot.
Here’s how to make Weight Watchers Cupcake Brownie recipe:
In large bowl, add and combine dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
In medium bowl, add in wet ingredients: water, unsweetened applesauce, apple cider vinegar, butter and vanilla extract. Combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
This recipe will only make 8 cupcakes. There’s no way you’ll be able to fill all 12 cupcake tins with the amount of batter you have to work with. Fill batter almost halfway in each paper-lined cupcake tin. (To ensure even baking, fill empty tins with water)
Bake at 350 degrees F for 16 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean. (I baked mine for 16 minutes)
Remove pan to wire rack to cool. After two minutes, remove cupcakes to wire rack to finish cooling completely. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Weight Watchers Cupcake Brownie
This Weight Watchers cupcake brownie recipe is super easy to make and has only 3 smart points. This soft and chewy cupcake makes for a quick snack and has simple ingredients of flour, cocoa, and unsweetened apple sauce.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed, plus
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee (room temp)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake or muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, add and combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
3. In medium bowl, add in water, coffee, applesauce, vanilla extract, melted butter, and apple cider vinegar. Stir until combined.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fill 8 cupcake liners half way with batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 16 minutes. Toothpick inserted into middle of cupcake should come out clean.
6. Place pan on wire rack to cool. After two minutes, remove cupcakes from tin to cool on wire rack completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Recipe adapted from weight watchers chewy brownie cupcakes recipe