These strawberry crumb bars have fresh strawberries nestled between a chewy oat crust and crunchy oat topping. A great Summer dessert that’s easy to make.
If you like any type of fruit crisp or cobblers, you have got to try these easily portable strawberry crumb bars. This dessert recipe has a very similar base to my apple crisp recipe. Strawberries are looking fantastic right now, making it a great time to make this easy Summer dessert.
Memorial Day just passed. My son ended up helping out his former soccer team as they played in a tournament over the weekend. One of the soccer moms hosted a picnic inbetween the games and I decided to make these bars for a dessert. The bars are sweet and chewy with a nice crumb topping. With heart-healthy oats and fresh strawberries, this is a somewhat healthier dessert.
First, you’ll start off by chopping up your strawberries.
Add in fresh squeezed lemon juice followed by granulated sugar and cornstarch. Gently stir until fruit is evenly coated. Set aside.
In separate bowl, blend butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. (Note: some recipes call for very cold butter. I didn’t have a problem getting a crispy topping using room temperature butter)
Add in flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt. Blend with electric mixer on medium to medium-low speed until ingredients are combined. Mixture will be crumbly.
Reserve 1 1/4 cup of oat/flour mixture and set aside to use as topping. Press remaining mixture into a lightly greased or parchment lined 13 x 9 inch pan.
Spread the strawberry mixture evenly on top of the crust.
Sprinkle remaining crust mixture evenly on top of the strawberries.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until fruit starts to bubble on the sides and crust is a light golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool and set for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Strawberry Crumb Bars
These strawberry crumb bars consist of fresh strawberries nestled between a tasty oat based crust and crunchy oat topping. A great Summer dessert that is easy to make and great for a crowd.
Crust and Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
Crust and Crumb Topping:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 13 x 9 inch pan or line with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, blend butter and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
3. Add in flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt. Blend on medium to medium-low speed until all ingredients are combined.
4. Reserve 1 1/4 cups of batter for topping. Press remaining mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
Add chopped strawberries to large sized bowl.
2. Add in lemon juice, granulated sugar, and cornstarch. Gently stir until fruit is evenly coated.
3. Spread fruit mixture evenly on top of crust layer.
4. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top of strawberries.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until fruit starts to bubble on the sides and topping is light golden brown.
6. Remove to wire rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.
7. Store any leftover bars in refrigerator.