Peppermint Mocha Brownies consist of rich, fudgy brownies layered with a homemade peppermint frosting and topped with chocolate ganache.
I know people have been making a lot of cookies at this time of year, myself included. To take a break from cookies, I decided to include this bar recipe as one of my last indulgences for the year. My kids have fallen in love with this dessert and I hope you will too.
In the past, I made a brownie bar similar to this recipe but it had a lot of butter. Two sticks of butter went into the brownies, a stick of butter in the frosting, and stick of butter in the ganache. Talk about butter overload. I’ve since lightened up this dessert to be slightly more health conscious (now has only 2 sticks of butter instead of 4) without compromising on the great taste.
Here’s how to make Peppermint Mocha Brownies:
Melt butter and semisweet chocolate chips in microwave for thirty second increments, stirring frequently until chocolate has melted completely. (Depending on microwave, it should take about one minute, twenty seconds)
Add in both sugars along with vanilla and peppermint extract to bowl. Add in eggs, one at a time, stirring until well-blended.
Add in flour, cocoa, and salt. Stir for approx. 1 to 2 minutes.
Spread batter into parchment lined 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 27 minutes. Remove pan to wire rack to cool. Once cooled, gently grab edges of parchment paper and transfer brownies onto flat baking sheet.
Make the frosting:
In large bowl, add in powdered sugar, butter, milk, and peppermint extract. Blend on low speed with electric mixer for approx. 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth in consistency.
Spread frosting on top of cooled brownies. Tip: use sharp knife to trim edges of brownies prior to adding frosting
Make the ganache:
Use a double boiler to melt semisweet chocolate chips, heavy cream, and butter over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth in consistency.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (approx 15 minutes). Spread or pour ganache evenly over frosting layer.
Place peppermint candies in small ziploc bag. Place towel over bag and use hammer to crush candies into small sized pieces. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on top of ganache. Place baking sheet in refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
Use large knife to cut brownies into squares. Tip: dip knife in large glass of water and then wipe with paper towel between cuts to avoid smearing.
Peppermint Mocha Brownies
Peppermint Mocha Brownies consist of a rich, fudgy brownie layered with peppermint frosting and topped with a chocolate ganache.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk, whole or 2%
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp peppermint candies, crushed
In large bowl, melt butter and semisweet chocolate chips in microwave in thirty second increments, making sure to stir each time until chocolate has melted (approx. one minute, twenty seconds)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
3. Add both sugars to bowl of melted butter and chocolate. Add vanilla and peppermint extract. Add in eggs, one at a time, stirring until well-blended.
4. Add in flour, cocoa, and salt. Stir until combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 27 minutes.
6. Remove pan to wire rack to cool. Once cooled, grab edges of parchment paper to carefully lift brownies out of pan and place on flat baking sheet.
In large bowl, add in butter, powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract.
2. Blend on medium-low speed approx. 2 minutes or until smooth in consistency.
3. Spread frosting on top of cooled brownies.
Add semisweet chocolate chips, heavy cream, and butter to top of double boiler. Heat on medium-low, stirring frequently until chocolate has melted and smooth in consistency.
2. Remove pan from burner and allow to cool for 15 minutes before spreading over frosting layer.
3. Place peppermint candies in ziploc bag. Cover with a towel and use hammer to crush candies into small pieces. Sprinkle crushed candies over ganache.
3. Place large baking sheet in refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes. Remove baking sheet and cut brownies into squares.
4. Store in airtight container.