Pecan Pie Bars have all of the deliciousness from a pecan pie turned into bar form. A great tasting shortbread crust and full of pecan flavor.
A shortbread crust and a sticky, gooey pecan layer make up these fantasic tasting bars. Like a pecan pie, this dessert is on the sweeter side. What’s great about this dessert is that you can cut into small pieces if desired.
I found this recipe on the Slow Roasted Italian’s website. It’s a great tasting recipe, but a little different as most recipes don’t include an egg in the shortbread crust. Ironically, there are no eggs in the filling. The dough is a little tricky to work with since it’s so sticky, but overall I was really pleased with this recipe.
Here’s how to make Pecan Pie Bars:
Make the crust by combining butter and sugar together in large bowl. Blend with electric mixer for a couple minutes.
Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt and blend on low speed until ingredients are combined. Dough will be sticky.
Press dough into greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. You will need to dust your spatula or hands lightly with flour in order to successfully press the dough into the pan. Make a rim at edges like a pie.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Here’s how to make the filling:
In medium sized saucepan, add in the butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar. Heat over low heat until butter has melted. Raise the heat to medium and boil mixture for 3 minutes.
Remove saucepan from heat and add in heavy cream and chopped pecans.
Pour filling over crust. Filling will spread as it bakes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is set.
Remove pan to wire rack to cool. Place in refrigerator for an hour to allow bars to set before cutting into squares.
Pecan Pie Bars
Pecan Pie Bars have all the delicious taste of a pecan pie made into bar form.
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chopped pecans
In large bowl, add butter and granulated sugar. Blend with electric mixer on medium speed for at least 2 minutes.
2. Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Blend until well-combined.
3. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend on low speed just until combined.
4. Spread dough into lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Dough will be sticky and you’ll probably need to sprinkle dough lightly with flour when you press dough into pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
In medium sized saucepan, add butter, light corn syrup, and light brown sugar. Heat over low heat until butter melts, stirring frequently.
2. Turn heat to medium and let boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add in heavy cream and chopped pecans.
3. Pour pecan filling evenly on top of crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is set.
4. Remove pan to wire rack to cool. Refrigerate bars for an hour to allow bars to set. Cut into squares.