These classic peanut butter cookies are soft and chewy and full of peanut butter. Easy to make and no need to chill the dough prior to baking.
The weather is warming up in CT (finally). The cherry trees just started blooming and the tulips are now in full bloom. My daughter was happy to be in short sleeves and even put the dog on the trampoline with her to soak up some sun.
When you think of peanut butter cookies, a lot of people equate this cookie with back to school, but I think this is a cookie that can be enjoyed year round. It is so easy to make and once the dough is made, the cookies can go straight into the oven.
In a large bowl, add the butter and both sugars and blend with a electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 – 3 minutes.
Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to blend until combined.
Add in peanut butter and blend on medium speed until blended.
Add in flour, baking soda, and salt and blend with electric mixer on medium-low speed just until combined. Batter will be a little thick, but the good news is that it’s not sticky so no need to chill the dough.
Sprinkle granulated sugar into bowl. Use small or medium sized cookie scoop for batter and then roll into balls. Roll balls in bowl of sugar and then place on parchment lined or silicone lined baking sheet.
Use tines of fork to press criss-cross pattern into cookie ball.
Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 8 – 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack and let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes and then remove to another wire rack to let finish cooling completely. If you want to keep your cookies soft and chewy, I’d bake for 8 or 9 minutes only. If you like your cookie a little crisper, I’d bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
Store in airtight container and enjoy! These will go quick.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter, creamy
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp granulated sugar to roll cookie dough in
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
2. In large bowl, add butter and both sugars and blend with electric mixer on medium to medium-high for 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Add in egg and vanilla extract. Blend until combined. Add in peanut butter and blend until combined.
4. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt. Blend on medium-low speed just until combined.
5. Use medium cookie scoop to scoop dough from bowl. Roll into balls.
6. Place sugar in shallow bowl. Roll cookie balls in sugar and then place on prepared baking sheet.
7. Use tines of fork to make criss-cross pattern into each cookie.
8. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Remove cookies after 3 minutes from pan and let finish cooling on wire rack.
9. Store in airtight container.