These Peanut Butter Brownie Bars consists of a fudgy brownie layer followed by a layer of creamy peanut butter and then are topped with a chocolate ganache. A dessert that is delicious and decadence in every bite.
Yum, yum, yum! If you like a dessert that has a chocolate and peanut butter combination, you have got to try this dessert. I was in love after the first bite.
This dessert is a rich and fudgy chocolate brownie made from scratch with semisweet chocolate chips and cocoa powder. The peanut butter layer is smooth and creamy, without being overly sweet. And then, the chocolate ganache layer just helps to make this bar recipe an outstanding success.
Here’s how to make this recipe:
Start off by making the brownies. It takes less than five minutes to make brownies from scratch. If you’re really pressed for time or have a preference for a boxed mix, go for it; otherwise, proceed as follows:
In large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and semisweet chocolate chips in thirty second increments until chocolate has melted completely (should take about a minute and twenty to thirty seconds based on your microwave).
Add in both sugars and stir until combined. Batter will be grainy.
Add in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract. Stir until well-combined.
Add in flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir by hand for additional two minutes. Spread into parchment lined or lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. (The parchment paper makes it easier to cut the bars later)
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out mostly clean. (I baked my brownies for 28 minutes) Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
In large bowl, add in softened butter and peanut butter. Blend with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 2 – 3 minutes. Add in powdered sugar and milk and continue to blend on medium speed until ingredients are well-combined. Mixture will be thick and more on the pasty side.
Carefully lift edges of parchment paper to remove brownie from baking dish and place on flat baking sheet. Use large knife to cut edges off (optional). If you like the crispy edges, you can skip this part. Use spatula to spread peanut butter mixture on top of cooled brownies.
The final layer is the chocolate ganache. Simply place the butter and semisweet chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl and heat in thirty second increments until the chocolate has melted.
Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the peanut butter layer and then spread with spatula to even out as needed.
Cover with saran wrap and place pan in refrigerator for thirty minutes to chill. Remove from refrigerator and then cut into squares. As you’ll see, there is already a corner missing from the above picture. I couldn’t resist and had to taste test before it even made it to the fridge.
Once the ganache has had a chance to set, I would recommend keeping these bars at room temperature in an airtight container. Hope you enjoy these as much as I did.
Peanut Butter Brownie Bars
These Peanut Butter Brownie Bars start off with a fudgy brownie made from scratch. A layer of creamy peanut butter is added and is then topped with a chocolate ganache.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
Peanut Butter layer:
- 3/4 cup peanut butter, creamy
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk, whote or 2%
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or line 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside
2. In large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and semisweet chocolate chips in microwave for thirty seconds. Stir and repeat until chocolate has melted. (approx. one minute, twenty to thirty seconds)
3. Add in granulated sugar and light brown sugar. Stir until combined.
4. Add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract. Stir until well-combined.
5. Add in flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir for an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out mostly clean. Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
Peanut Butter layer:
In large bowl, blend butter and peanut butter together with electric mixer on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add in powdered sugar and milk and continue to blend until well-combined. (Batter will be thick and pasty)
3. Spread peanut butter mixture evenly on top of cooled brownies with spatula.
In large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and semisweet chocolate chips in thirty second increments, stirring inbetween, until chocolate has melted.
2. Pour ganache evenly over peanut butter layer. Spread with spatula as needed.
3. Place dessert in refrigerator for thirty minutes to allow ganache to set.
4. Cut into squares and store in airtight container.