Lemon Oatmeal Bars have a luscious layer of creamy lemon filling nestled between an oatmeal crust and topping. Super easy to make and taste delicious.
I’ve been experimenting with recipes for lemon cheesecake bars and with my different attempts, I developed this scrumptious recipe by accident. You know how some food items compliment each other. Chocolate and peanut butter, check. Cheesecake and brownies, check. Oatmeal and chocolate, check. Oatmeal and lemons – not so sure??
I definitely had my doubts about combining oatmeal and lemon together, but surprisingly these ingredients end up working really well together. I initially thought this recipe was going to end up in the reject pile, but I received a lot of compliments on this dessert and decided I needed to share it.
Here’s how to make Lemon Oatmeal Bars:
Start with the crust:
In large bowl, add in butter along with granulated sugar and brown sugar. Use electric mixer and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Blend until combined.
Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. I line pan with parchment paper and then lightly grease. Tip: To avoid parchment paper from slipping all over baking dish while pressing in crust, I use chip clips to secure parchment paper to sides of baking dish. Once I have the crust in place, I remove the chip clips.
To make the filling:
In separate large bowl, add in softened cream cheese and granulated sugar. Blend with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time and continue to blend until well combined. Add in sour cream.
Add in lemon extract (or vanilla), lemon juice, and lemon zest, blending until combined.
Pour lemon cream cheese filling over crust. Take remaining oatmeal batter and dollop spoonfuls of batter over cream cheese layer. (Batter will be sticky and doesn’t need to entirely cover cream cheese layer)
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 33 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Remove to wire rack to cool and then chill for at least an hour prior to cutting into squares.
Lemon Oatmeal Bars
Oatmeal Crust and Topping Layer:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Lemon Cream Cheese Filling:
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temp
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed (2 – 3 lemons)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon or vanilla extract
Oatmeal Crust and Topping:
In large bowl, add in butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Blend with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
2. Add in flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Blend until combined.
3. Press half of batter into bottom of lightly greased or parchment lined 9 x 13 inch pan. Reserve other half of batter to use as topping.
Lemon Cream Cheese Filling:
In large bowl, add in cream cheese and sugar. Blend with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
2. Add in eggs, one at a time and continue to blend until combined. Add in sour cream and blend together.
3. Add in lemon extract (or vanilla), lemon juice, and lemon zest. Blend until combined. Pour batter evenly over crust.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Drop spoonfuls of oatmeal batter on top of cream cheese filling.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F 30 to 33 minutes or until top is golden brown.
3. Remove to wire rack to cool and then chill for at least one hour before cutting into squares.