These lemon cupcakes have a fresh, light taste of lemon and are topped with a lemon flavored buttercream frosting. Great tasting and simple to make.
March is here. Are you lucky enough to be in one of those states where sunshine and warmer weather has already approached? In CT, we get a teaser here and there, but unfortunately, we still have many more 40 degree days ahead. Right now, we’re experiencing a Nor’easter with high winds and lots of rain. In order to bolster my spirits, I decided to make these lemon cupcakes with just the right amount of zest and sweet.
To start, slice 2 – 3 lemons and squeeze juice into measuring cup. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar together and blend with an electric mixer on medium speed for approx. 3 minutes.
Add in eggs, one at a time and continue to blend on medium speed until well-blended.
Add in vanilla extract and freshly squeezed lemon juice to batter. Alternate adding a third of dry ingredients followed by a third of milk into batter, blending on medium-low speed. Continue until all ingredients are combined.
Bake at 350 degrees for 16 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out mostly clean. (My oven took 16 minutes)
Allow to cool in pan on wire rack for 3 minutes and then remove cupcakes from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
For the frosting:
In large bowl, combine the butter and shortening together with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. (Why shortening? It has a better consistency for decorating and there is no difference in taste)
Alternate adding in powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream (or milk) and continue to blend on medium-low speed until ingredients start to combine.
Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice and blend until smooth and creamy.
Place frosting in disposable decorating bag with your choice of decorating tip (I used Wilton 2D) and frost cooled cupcake.
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 - 3 lemons)
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk, whole or 2%, room temp
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 - 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extrct
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. In medium sized bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending on medium speed until well-blended.
5. Add in the vanilla extract and lemon juice to the batter.
6. Alternate adding a third of dry ingredients followed by a third of the milk to batter, mixing on medium-low speed. Repeat until all ingredients used and batter is combined.
7. Use large cookie scoop to fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
8. Bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
9. Remove pan to wire rack to cool for 3 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
7. Store cupcakes in airtight container.
For the Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
In large bowl, blend together butter and shortening with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
2. Add in powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream (or milk) and blend on medium-low speed until ingredients until ingredients are combined.
3. Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice and blend until smooth and creamy.