Buttermilk, cocoa, and butter help give these chocolate cupcakes a smooth, chocolatey flavor. These cupcakes are made from scratch and can be topped with a peppermint buttercream frosting or ganache frosting. A simple recipe with great results!
These chocolate cupcakes are simple to make with everyday ingredients and can be made in less than thirty minutes. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, don’t panic. You can easily use whole or 2% milk along with either a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar and get the same results.
Here’s how to make Chocolate Cupcakes:
In large bowl, combine sifted flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. (I sift the flour first and then measure the amount needed).
In another large bowl, blend the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 – 5 minutes.
Add in eggs, one at a time, and continue to blend until smooth and creamy.
Measure out required amount of buttermilk in liquid measuring cup and then add vanilla extract. Proceed to add a third of the flour mixture to the batter followed by a third of the buttermilk, blending on low speed until well incorporated. Continue process of alternating dry with wet until all ingredients combined. Batter will be smooth and creamy.
Fill batter into cupcake liners about two-thirds full then bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (It only took 15 minutes in my oven).
Remove pan to wire rack to cool for at least three minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and proceed to let cool completely on wire rack.
While cupcakes are cooling, you can make the ganache frosting by placing the heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips over double boiler on medium-low heat. Stir constantly until chocolate has melted completely and mixture is shiny and smooth. Remove pan from burner and allow to cool for at least five minutes.
Meanwhile, take peppermint candies and place in a small ziploc bag. Use end of wooden spoon to crush into tiny pieces and then place in small bowl or on a small sheet of wax paper.
Take one cupcake at a time and dip top of cupcake into ganache frosting, twisting your wrist to make sure top of cupcake gets completely coated. Sprinkle with the crushed peppermint candies and set aside.
To make the peppermint buttercream frosting, combine powdered sugar and butter in large bowl and blend with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 – 3 minutes. Add in milk and continue to blend until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Add in peppermint extract and blend for another minute. Frost cupcakes with knife or choose a Wilton decorating tip and place frosting into disposable decorating bag. I used a 1M for decorating these cupcakes.
Chocolate cupcakes with peppermint frosting or ganache frosting
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted and measured
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temp
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-5 peppermint candies, crushed
Chocolate ganache frosting:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Peppermint Buttercream frosting:
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan and set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine sifted flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, combine sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time and continue to blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Keep buttermilk in liquid measuring cup and add vanilla extract.
5. Add a third of the dry ingredients to batter followed by a third of the buttermilk/vanilla on low speed. Continue to alternate dry and wet ingredients into batter until well-blended.
6. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan on wire rack for 3 minutes and then remove cupcakes to wire rack to finish cooling completely prior to frosting.
For the ganache frosting:
Add heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips to double-boiler. Heat on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate has completely melted.
Remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
For the peppermint buttercream frosting:
In large bowl, combine softened butter and powdered sugar. Blend with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 - 3 minutes.
Add in milk and continue to blend until frosting is smooth and creamy in consistency.
Add in peppermint extract and blend on medium speed for additional minute.