If you love a dessert with a combination of peanut butter and chocolate, you have to try these buckeye bars. It’s all the goodness of a buckeye packed into a bar form with a lot less work and great results!
Have you ever had the pleasure of eating a buckeye? A little ball of peanut butter dipped in chocolate. This recipe is a combination of no-bake peanut butter bars and buckeyes. These bars have a smooth, creamy peanut butter base and a chocolate fudge layer. This recipe comes together within minutes and makes a large portion.
Add peanut butter and butter (this recipes calls for a lot of butter) to a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter melts.
Add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended. Batter will become thick.
Spread batter into parchment lined or foil lined 9 x 13 inch pan. (I use binder or chip clips to secure parchment paper in place)
Add semi-sweet chocolate chips, butter, and sweetened condensed milk to a medium or large, microwave-safe bowl. Heat bowl in microwave for 45 seconds and then stir ingredients together. Continue placing bowl in microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate has melted.
Spread chocolate mixture evenly over peanut butter layer.
Cover pan with foil and refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into squares. Store in airtight container.
These bars taste great. My only slight complaint would be the peanut butter part is a little crumbly and falls apart easily when you bite into it.
Peanut Butter Layer:
- 1 1/4 cups peanut butter, creamy
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
Place parchment paper or foil in 9 x 13 inch pan and lightly grease.
2. Add peanut butter and butter to large saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter has completely melted.
3. Add in vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
4. Spread peanut butter mixture into prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
Add semisweet chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and unsalted butter to microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir. Return to microwave and heat for 30 second increments until chocolate has melted.
3. Spread fudge layer on top of peanut butter layer.
4. Cover pan with foil and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Cut into squares. Store in airtight container.