This Brownie Cheesecake is made extra special with a layer of freshly diced strawberries nestled between the homemade brownie and cheesecake layers. This is a great dessert for a special occasion.
I love a combination of ingredients such as peanut butter and chocolate when making recipes. Another favorite is brownies and cheesecake. Both are great individually, but when paired together, you have a fantastic dessert. Since it’s Summer and fresh fruit is in abundance, I couldn’t resist adding a layer of fresh strawberries to this recipe as well.
I’ll warn you in advance – this isn’t the kind of dessert that you can whip up in a few minutes. It’s not a complicated dessert, but it does have a lot of steps involved. To break it down, you’ll be making a brownie and a cheesecake with alternating layers of brownie and cheesecake mixture between a layer of fresh strawberries. You’ll spend almost an hour in the kitchen, but if you have the time, it will be so worth it.
Here’s how to make this recipe:
You’ll want to start off by cutting a nine inch diameter of parchment paper. Place on bottom of 9-inch springform pan and lightly grease sides of pan. Set aside.
In large microwave safe bowl, add butter and semisweet chocolate chips. Microwave on high for thirty second intervals, stirring in between. Keep repeating until chocolate has melted. (Should take about a minute and twenty seconds).
Add in both sugars and stir until combined. Batter will be grainy.
Add in eggs, one at a time.
Add in flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir by hand for 2 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup of brownie batter and set aside. Pour brownie batter into springform pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 30minutes. Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
While the brownie is cooking, proceed to dicing a dozen fresh strawberries. Set aside.
Now it’s time to make the cheesecake filling. This is my “go to” recipe for cheesecakes. In large bowl, add cream cheese and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Add in eggs, one at a time, along with vanilla extract, continuing to blend until well combined. Add in sour cream and blend until smooth and creamy. Make sure to use room temperature ingredients for best results.
Reserve a third cup of cheesecake batter and place in small bowl. add in the reserved brownie batter and stir ingredients together. Set aside.
Measure out 2 cups of the cheesecake batter and spread evenly over the cooked brownie layer. This cheesecake has a long bake time. If you’re concerned about the brownie drying out, please rest assured, the brownie layer comes out soft and fudgy.
Take half of the combined brownie and cheesecake batter and spread over cheesecake layer. Do not stir.
Use large spoon to add layer of diced strawberries to springform pan. Do not stir.
Spread remaining cheesecake batter on top of strawberries. Do not stir.
Add remaining brownie – cheesecake batter as final layer. Use tip of knife to swirl batter.
Place springform pan into larger roasting pan. (Make sure pan is double-wrapped with aluminum foil) Fill with an inch of hot water. Bake at 325 degrees F for one hour, ten minutes. Center of cheesecake should be slightly jiggly. Turn oven off and crack door open. Leave cheesecake in oven for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove springform pan to wire rack to cool to room temperature (approx. 20 to 30 minutes).
Cover top of springform pan with saran wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
I really love the look of chocolate curls as a garnish on a dessert like this. Making chocolate curls still has a way of frustrating me and I have definitely not perfected this task. I’ve watched a couple videos and here’s how I attempted to make the chocolate curls:
Place large baking sheet in freezer to chill for at least ten minutes. In large bowl, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter in microwave until chocolate has melted. Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of melted chocolate on the back of the chilled baking sheet. The chocolate will appear glossy at first and then become dull in color. Use the edge of a spatula to scrape the length of chocolate. Place the chocolate curls in a small bowl and then place in freezer until ready to top cake.
This Brownie Cheesecake is made extra special with a layer of fresh cut strawberries baked between the cheesecake and brownie layers. A great dessert for a special occasion.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 cup sour cream, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
Prepare 9-inch springform pan by placing fitted 9-inch diameter of parchment paper into bottom of pan. Lightly grease sides of pan. Double-wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil. Set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In large, microwave safe bowl, melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips in thirty second intervals, stirring inbetween, until chocolate has completed melted. (should take about 1 minute, 20 seconds)
3. Add in both sugars and stir until combined.
4. Add in eggs, one at a time, and continue to stir until well-blended.
5. Add in vanilla extract, flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
6. Reserve 3/4 cup of brownie batter and set aside. (Will be combined with the cream cheese batter) Pour remaining batter into prepared springform pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes.
7. Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
In large bowl, blend the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
2. Add in eggs, one at a time, and continue to blend on medium speed until well-blended.
3. Add in vanilla extract followed by sour cream. Blend until combined.
4. Reserve 1/3 cup of the cream cheese mixture and combine with reserved brownie batter in small bowl until combined. Set aside.
5. Measure out approx 2 cups of cream cheese batter and add to brownie layer.
6. Spread half of the brownie/cheesecake mixture on top of the cheesecake layer.
7. Gently spread the layer of diced strawberries as the next layer. Do not stir.
8. Add the remaining cream cheese mixture on top of the pureed strawberries.
9. Add the remaining brownie/cheesecake mixture as top layer. Use tip of knife to swirl.
10. Place springform pan in larger roasting pan and add approx. an inch of hot water. Bake at 325 degrees F for one hour, ten minutes to one hour, twenty minutes. (Center of cheesecake should be slightly jiggly)
11. Turn off oven and crack door open. Leave cheesecake in roasting pan for another 30 minutes.
12. Place springform pan on wire rack to finish cooling to room temp. Cover top with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
13. Run knife around edges of springform pan prior to releasing pan.
Chocolate Curls (garnish):
Place large baking sheet in freezer for at least 10 minutes.
2. In large bowl, melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips in microwave in thirty second intervals. Stir and continue to repeat process until chocolate has melted.
3. Remove baking sheet from freezer. Use spatula to spread thin layer of melted chocolate onto bottom of baking sheet.
4. Chocolate will go from glossy to dull in appearance. Use edge of spatula to scrape through chocolate in order to make curls.
5. As you make the curls, place in small bowl and then place in freezer until ready to top cake.
Cheesecake needs to be chilled for at least 8 hours.