This homemade banana nut bread is my grandma’s version and it taste delicious. It has a full banana flavor and a moist, tender crumb.
I tried making a few banana nut bread recipes during the summer and was disappointed with the results. The top would be too brown or the bread itself wasn’t moist enough. I’m all for trying to improve a recipe and find a better version, but sometimes it’s best to go back to what is tried and true. This is my grandma’s recipe and I’m sticking with it because it gives a nice golden loaf, full banana flavor and a moist, tender crumb.
Here’s how to make Banana Nut Bread:
In a large bowl, blend the softened butter and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
Add in eggs and blend until well combined. Batter will be very smooth.
Add in mashed bananas. (It always amazes me that the bananas that are too ripe and would be thrown away are the best ones to use for this recipe)
Add in dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Fold in chopped pecans or walnuts to batter. (If you’re not a fan of nuts, you can easily omit and the bread will still taste great!)
Pour batter into greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (I checked bread at 45 minute mark and covered with aluminum foil)
Cool on wire rack and then wrap loaf in saran wrap or aluminum foil to lock in freshness and moisture. This bread usually tastes even better the next day.
Banana Nut Bread
This homemade banana nut bread is super easy to make and taste delicious. It has a full, banana flavor and a moist, tender crumb.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas (3-4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 9 x 5 loaf pan.
2. In large bowl, blend butter and sugar together with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs and blend until well combined.
4. Add in mashed bananas.
5. Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend on low speed until ingredients are combined.
6. Fold in nuts.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes. (can cover with foil at 45 minute mark if desired)
8. Cool on wire rack.
9. Wrap in saran wrap or aluminum foil to store.