Apple Crumb Cake is a moist cake full of apple and cinnamon flavor topped with a thick crumb topping. A great tasting Fall dessert.
It’s officially Fall. I love this time of year. The leaves on the trees have barely begun changing, but the temperatures have started to drop and there’s a crispness in the air. We have a lot of fairs in Connecticut at this time of year, but it’s all the Fall desserts that get me excited. Apple cider doughnuts, pumpkin bread, and oatmeal raisin cookies are just some of favorites.
Whether you’re out apple picking or decide to pick up some apples from the local store, this recipe for apple crumb cake makes an excellent dessert. I love the combinations of apple and cinnamon, not to mention that crunchy brown sugar topping.
Here’s how to make Apple Crumb Cake:
Start off by making the crumb topping. Blend melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together in medium sized bowl. Set aside. Note: I used really cold butter and melted butter when trying this recipe and found that using the cold butter didn’t make a difference. You’ll still end up with a crunchy topping either way.
For the Cake:
In large bowl, mix the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Add in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract. Blend until well-combined.
In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Alternate adding a third of the flour mixture followed by room temperature sour cream to batter. Blend on low speed, continuing to alternate between flour and sour cream until all ingredients are combined. Do not overmix. Batter will be thick.
Fold in chopped apples.
Spread half of batter into lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Sprinkle half of the crumb topping over cake batter.
Spread remaining cake batter over brown sugar topping.
Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top of cake batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 42 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cake will be very golden in appearance.
Remove to wire rack to cool for at least 15 minutes prior to serving.
Apple Crumb Cake
Apple Crumb Cake is a great tasting cake bursting with apple and cinnamon flavor and topped with a thick crumb topping.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream, room temp
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Granny Smith or Gala apples (3 apples)
Melt butter in microwave in medium sized bowl. Add in brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Toss with fork until ingredients are combined. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and lightly grease.
2. In large bowl, blend sugar and butter together with electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
3. Add in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract, continuing to blend until well-combined.
4. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Alternate adding a third of flour mixture to batter followed by a third of the sour cream, blending on low speed. Continue to alternate ingredients until all ingredients are combined. Do not overmix.
5. Fold in chopped apples. Spread half of batter into prepared baking dish.
6. Sprinkle half of crumb topping on top of cake batter.
7. Spread remaining cake batter on top of crumb topping. Sprinkle remaining crumb topping on top of cake batter until completely covered.
8. Bake for 40 to 42 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
9. Remove to wire rack to cool for at least 15 minutes.